Thursday, April 17, 2008

Fight For Your Team

Athlete Salary: Week 1

What can you do when you're faced with a decision, do you play tetris or do your work like your suppose to? And for once I went against my gut and decided to do my work. So to start my search, I went to ESPN to find out a few different players salaries. The only problem with a topic like mine, would be that there are always people with opinions against my own. For example, when looking up a little information about the Yankees, my favorite team, a Mr. Riccio wanted to throw out his opinion. While submerged in music and ESPN, I hear you like the Yankees, and of course I must reply, "Why you don't?" From this point Riccio is looking down at me, I had to switch the tables on him. Riccio is a average fellow (height and body type: normal), while I'm a little bigger (with a box frame for a body type), so I stood up and started looking down at him. Being the cool guy he is, he keep to his guns but he definitely seemed a little frazzled by my size. From here we started to exchange verbal blows about each other's teams. He said that the Yankees just go and buy there players, I had to reply, "Oh yea that's right Boston doesn't do that." (Sarcasm of course.)


Even though I had this little distraction, I was able to get the information I wanted from ESPN. So it was a good search I was able to find A-Rod salary ("New York Yankees"), along with other players salary, such as Dice-K makes $8,333,333 a year ("Boston Red Sox"). As for the whole day, I was able to walk away with some good information about a lot of different topics, such as how much does a NLL player make, which is an average of $13,000 a season and rookies average around $6,500. This way I can make comparisons between the two. Of course Mr. Riccio thought it was alright that Boston just went to Japan and bought Dicey. I keep my mouth shut I had to get some work done. But hey what can I say the inquiry is going well, hopefully everyday will be as fruitful as today was. And then i should have no problem writing a real good paper.

______________________________________________________
"New York Yankees Roster." ESPN 4 16 08 http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/roster?team=nyy
"Boston Red Sox Roster." ESPN 4 16 08 http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/roster?team=box
"Baseball Salaries Still at Top Notch." New York Times 2 25 1917

1 comment:

Ayanna B. said...

I like your post because in your post, you tell a little funny story of this argument you have with someone about the baseball team's you like.