Thursday, December 6, 2007

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk, pages: 1-45

Hey kids, I'm back for the second time trying out this blogger stuff, and you know that it is pretty interesting.
For the beginning of the book everything is very life like, well to me at least for me it is. In every situation, I do something different there is not one same interaction, besides dealing with the authority or your elders. Everyone knows you must be classy in these types of situations. Such as getting everyone together for the first time on the bus, which is going to the secluded island. When I meet someone for the first time, I have this city attitude about me. I don't know why, but it just there. I don't consider myself to be street thug, but i definitely feel that people and me don't see eye to eye because there noses are to far in the air. Personally, I never considered myself to take first impressions that serious, but i guess i do. The first thing i do when we meet would be to size you up, taking into account your attire, behavior, and how we are interacting. When Chuck started to size people up on the bus, he immediately started giving out nicknames. If I can't remember someone's name, I try to remember something about there dress, so i can tell someone else about them. Chuck gives names based on how they dressed, what they were carrying, or by behavior, like "Saint Gut-Free" eating habits. In one case, he describes one person as a military women, in full attire of a soldier: she became know as "Comrade Snarky." For the first time I met young (Mr.) Malley, I can remember just thinking wow this character is amazing. Just like Kelsey Grammer playing "Frasier Crane," smart but sarcastic. And I view Frasier as the pinnacle of society, on top of his game but still willing to take care of his family first, and in the process learn a lesson or two.

1 comment:

Mr. Malley said...

Dan...ooo...praise. Where's my extra credit wand? Good response. I like the focus on the behavior of the main character. Hey, I'm going to need to see you reading in class one of these days, as you spent the last two days blogging.