Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams- p. 1-23

What an amazing book, the start is much like a horrible essay I, personally, have written. I mean that I have tried this technique and it never works out well for me. The beginning starts in a peaceful way with a character with high hopes and big dreams. And then "wham bam thank you mam," the story is flipped. The beginning reminds me of a "Simpsons" episode. (Has anyone ever noticed that they start on one plot and end on completely different story line?) Some of characters are very life like such as Arthur Dent, the houseowner, Mr. L. Prosser, the blue collar worker, and then there is Ford Perfect. He is a little far fetched but then again he could easily be confused with a foreigner who is trying to learn our customs, tradition and lifestyles. He still has a problem, even though he has been living among us for fifteen years, he can't detect sarcaism very well. Which can be funny at times but alittle distubing at other times. A perfect example of this would be when Arthur's house is about to be demolished, and Ford asks him if he is busy. Arthur replies No, I'm just lying in a ditch nothing. Almost every human being would pick up the inkling of "yes I am, now get out of here." But for the story so far, it seems to an interesting little tale that will unfold into an epic. I only hope that it sticks to its original charcters now, I'm sort of attach to Ford he makes me laugh with his drinking habits and quarkie personality make me chuckle (not laugh, just chuckle).

2 comments:

Zach T said...

As an outsider blogger i must say that i am impressed. It looks like your living up to you number one ranking. Not bad for a guy who likes the dropkick murphys.

Mr. Malley said...

Angry Irish Punk. Good stuff. This was an enjoyable read and a focused response. And yes, I've noticed that too about the Simpsons. Interesting observation.